The food that we eat is made tastier by the use of a lot of dressings that alone are not given much importance. But when such dressings are added to the food, they enhance the taste of that dish magically.
Mayonnaise is one of those dressings that have made our lives tastier by getting added to our day to day food items such as sandwiches or salads.
Mayonnaise is a condiment, or you could call it a dressing that we commonly use in our food to get an enhanced and enriched taste of the food. Not only just dressing, but Mayonnaise is also used as the base material for a lot of stuff like sauces. Especially the tartar sauce that is loved by all has the base ingredient that is the Mayonnaise.
Mayonnaise is an emulsion it consists of the following edible items:
- Egg Yolk
- An acid
The acid that is the constituent of the emulsion called Mayonnaise is citric. It could be lemon juice or vinegar that can also be sued as a substitute. Different variants that are naturally present inside the constituents of this emulsion are the necessary items to give a final look to this emulsion that is appealing to the eyes and ravishing for the taste buds. These variants are:
Lecithin and proteins that are present in the egg yolk act as the units of emulsifiers for the making of Mayonnaise.
The color of the Mayonnaise is not always white or always yellow; rather, it keeps varying from white to a little less yellow, giving it a pale yellow or off white look. As far as the texture of Mayonnaise is concerned, it depends on the style and ingredients that were used in the process of producing it. Usually, the texture of this emulsion is either thick like a gel or light as a cream.
The Mayonnaise that we see now in the market is made by going through a lot of different processes to give it the final shape and form that we get eventually. First of all, mixing is of a lot of importance when we need to make Mayonnaise. The mixing or whisking of the batter can be done by using a fork or an electric blender or a mixer. The main constituents that are oil, acid, and egg yolk are mixed to form a smooth mixture that can be finally become an emulsion and called Mayonnaise.
All the vegans out there do not need to get worried for their extra taste that is given to them by the use of Mayonnaise in the salad that they like or the sandwich that they prefer because Mayonnaise is also manufactured by using soya instead of egg yolk and the cholesterol that might be present in the other ingredients of the Mayonnaise. Other than soya, pea protein is also used as the agent to emulsify and get the droplets of oil stabilized in the water during the making of the emulsion.
Not only vegans but also the people who are allergic to the egg yolk can enjoy the taste of Mayonnaise and cherish their food more than before.
The usage of Mayonnaise is seen all around the world. The taste of Mayonnaise is so universal that people from all types of ethnicities like the taste of Mayonnaise in their food. It is not limited to a certain country or a continent; rather, it is extensively used in all parts of the world.
The origin of Mayonnaise is French, but that does not mean that this emulsion is not liked or used by people living in other parts of the world.
Different countries and continents use Mayonnaise in their food on day to day basis. Such countries and continents include:
- United States of America
Chile is one of the major consumers of this emulsion called Mayonnaise. Chile stands on number third when it comes to the consumption of Mayonnaise. Usually, the nationals of Chile like to keep Mayonnaise as the topping of their dish completos
In Europe, many countries are under the influence of France, so the use of Mayonnaise is massively seen there. People use Mayonnaise in their food as a topping or for emulsifying their food more that gives them a better taste.
Japanese have their way of making Mayonnaise. They do not usually use the distilled vinegar to make Mayonnaise; rather, they like to add rice vinegar, which gives Mayonnaise a nice Japanese touch that the people there adore having in their food. Another change that the people of Japan do the simple French Mayonnaise is that while making Mayonnaise, they add the whole egg rather than just the egg yolk. The addition of the entire egg to the emulsion gives it a thicker texture that the Japanese cherish in their way.
- The color of the Mayonnaise is often pale-yellow or white.
- Its texture varies too. It can be light cream or a gel that is thick.
- A mayonnaise that is free from the components of the egg is made for those who are vegetarians and also for those who do not consume the eggs of chicken or the cholesterol that is used daily.
Mayonnaise and Health
- Mayonnaise can be good or bad for an individual depending upon the type of diet he may consume.
- However, it only contains oil and contains approximately a hundred calories per soon eaten.
- It is also high in fat and high in calories too. Even though there are fat in Mayonnaise, but they are the ones that are unsaturated.
- And the fats which are unsaturated are actually good for one's health.
Preparing Mayonnaise at Home
There is also a way to make one's own Mayonnaise at home.
It can be done in the following steps;
- Two tablespoons for the yolk of eggs need to be whisked together.
- Then the white pepper and salt should be added.
- After that, oil can be added to the amount of 8oz.
- As the oil is being added, the mixture needs to be mixed correctly.
- The oil needs to be perfectly mixed as it is mixed.
- The mayo can be done being prepared by vinegar or lemon juice in the amount of 1 tbsp.
Best Mayonnaise Products
There are various brands that sell some of the best Mayonnaise that can be bought from the marketplace. Some of them are
- Blue Plate
- Heinz Real
- Miracle Whip
- Classic Mayonnaise of Sir Kensington's
- This Mayonnaise is full of texture and is creamy as well. Its flavor is like a lemon and is bright as well even though it gets slimy while opening, but it is one of the best ones available in the market.
- This Mayonnaise is only one of the very few brands that did not manufacture their Mayonnaise with whole eggs rather made it with egg yolks.
- One eaten, this mayo gives a flavor of texture for home-made and a flavor, which is satisfying as well.
- Moreover, it is a perfect mayonnaise for applying it to burgers and enhances the taste of vegetables in a burger as well.
- If an individual is a fan of mayos that taste exceptional, then this is the best choice for them.
- This Mayonnaise consists of a flavor that is distinct and unique than the rest of the mayos out there. Its texture is gelatinous.
- This mayo tastes the best when eaten with various vegetables such as cucumbers and tomatoes too.
- This is a mayonnaise that is extensively sweet in taste and has a slightly sour flavor, such as that of a fish. And gives off a flavor of curry along with having a slightly revolting taste.
- Despite other Mayonnaise by the same brand, this mayo seemed to be prepared and manufactured in a speedy manner.
- Despite having a taste that is rich, bright, and vibrant, this mayo has too sour and too sweet of a taste.
Pros of Mayonnaise
- They make one's salad taste delicious.
- Swallowing is made easy by adding Mayonnaise in food.
- Various ingredients are brought together to make one's food seem delicious.
- It fixes one's meal of breakfast and lunch without taking up much time.
- It can be eaten with almost any dish.
Cons of Mayonnaise
- It is not healthy to consume
Despite its cons, Mayonnaise has many benefits too. It is enjoyed by people all around the world and is worth the investment too.